NOTICE TO SIUE COMMUNITY
University Police is warning the SIUE community of a current scam involving a caller requesting payment. Glen Carbon Police Department, Edwardsville Police Department and the SIUE Police Department have become aware of this scam which is carried out as follows:
• Victim’s cell phone rings showing Edwardsville Police Department on caller ID.
• Caller on the phone advises victim they have an outstanding fine that required payment or there would be an arrest warrant.
• Caller may attempt to intimidate victim into payment with threats of an arrest by a police officer.
• The caller may make several call attempts that ID as Police Department nonemergency phone numbers.
• Caller is able to provide personal information such as: subject name, address, and SIUE email address.
• Caller will ask for a payment through a prepaid “MoneyPak” card.
• DO NOT MAKE PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!
NEED TO KNOW:
• A Police Department will NEVER request a payment over the phone or to be done with a prepaid card.
• If a fine is owed a person is always notified by mail.
• Should you receive a call of this nature, SIUE Police advise you to contact your local police department.
More details >>